Sunday, June 9, 2013

GoPro Mountain Games

It's been a long couple days in and around Vail, CO, for the 2013 GoPro Mountain Games.

Immersion Research fleece and shorts at the campsite up at Homestake
Slacklining fun at the campsite as well
We arrived up at Homestake Creek on Tuesday afternoon, and I spent ages scouting lines and watching people train for the steep creek race.

Demshitz go crickin'

The next day - Wednesday - I got to hit up a super clean lap of Homestake with an awesome group of all ladies: myself, Adriene Levknecht, Haley Mills, and Erin Clancey. It's hard to explain exactly how excited I was to hit all my lines and finish the run without any gnarly cuts on my hands, unlike Adriene here...

What a beast...

This is my stoked face! First time I've been in a creek boat in at least a month.

Love my Shiva!
Still stoked. 
Although my lines were good, I decided that racing the steep creek wasn't worth it (maybe next year) and it was time to focus on some playboating down at the freestyle feature in Vail Village.

There's only so much playboating I can watch though
Competition began on Friday, and I made my way into finals with a fourth place.
Finals were on Saturday, and I tied for second place with Haley Mills, but lost the tie, and took third place.

Women's Results:
1. Sage Donnelly - 410
2. Haley Mills - 400
3. Rowan Stuart - 400
4. Courtney Kerin
5. Adriene Levknecht
6. Emily Jackson

On the podium, winning $500

Men's Results:
1. Nicholas Troutman - 1330
2. Dane Jackson - 1280
3. Adam Chappell - 1110
4. Jason Craig - 930
5. Eric Jackson - 840


The end results don't matter as much to me as they could. Right now I'm just stoked that I hit a phonix monkey during one of my rides. All that matters to me is paddling as well as I can, and having an awesome time with everyone at these competitions - making new friends!

Bestfriends wear matching pink shorts, right?
Little siblings are freaks.
It's been nice enough spending time in Vail, but I'm excited to get down to Salida for FIBArk this coming weekend. 

Hopefully I'll have an update to this post in the near future with video of one of my rides. 


Photos by: IV Stuart, Tracy Smith, Becky Richardson, Kerry Kellogg. 

1 comment: